It was meant to be just another Sunday. My boss (the very first boss of my insipid career), however, had other plans. He announced that he was going away for the weekend, and that I needed to cover for him. He was a gorgeously wonderful guy, and I could never ever refuse him, even if it was at the cost of scrapping a well-planned shopping expedition that very weekend.
So I took a handover and was all set to handle any sort of client-emergency. Just before he left for the airport, he suddenly turned around, walked right back to me, smiled ever so gently and said ‘This is for you..’ and thrust it into my hands before I could even react.
So there I was, holding my very first mobile phone. A heavy, faded Nokia that had been circulated among virtually EVERY project manager in my team.
Yippee! My very own phone! So somebody actually thought I was important enough to need a mobile phone?! Wooawww..that really felt awesome!
I remember going out with two of my closest friends (Mr.G and Ms.L) that night, and celebrating the event over Tangy Dahi-papdi-chaat and milkshakes (WITH a nice blob of ice-cream)! Every five minutes, G or L would disappear round the corner and call me on my mobile. You know.. just for me to be able to show the world that I too, had arrived!
Over the last ten years, I have owned and used many many mobiles.
- Starting with a really dirty, chapped Nokia (that was the possession of another project manager who used to constantly mine his nose for gold! YUCK!).
- I subsequently treated myself to an ultra-slim Sony Ericcson (colour phone, you see :-)).
- In some time, I was formally given a new shiny blue Sony for ‘official use’. I have to admit this was my most memorable phone, as I used it 24 hours a day, during my courtship with hubby 😉
- Then I got a sturdy Nokia (gift from hubby)…
- Followed by another Sony (With Bluetooth, camera and recording!!)
- And finally a coveted Blackberry Pearl (with about everything!!!!)
Last Saturday, I went scouting for my next mobile phone (none of the others worked now), and found exactly what I was looking for at the very popular Univercel outlet in the shopper’s paradise that is called T.Nagar (Pondy Bazaar, to be precise).
So, my latest addition is an LG. Really sleek. Pitch black. Colour display. And nothing else. Yes, you read right.
No camera, No FM radio, No video, NO NOTHING!!! Not even 10 ring tones, can you beat that? I have to choose from a very jing-chak “Pappu Can’t Dance Sala” or an annoyingly loud “Dance pe tu chance”. Kiddo loves the tunes, but I wouldn’t dream of being heard in public with that ring tone.
The fact that it actually works (for the Rs.1400 that I paid), is a blessing in itself. I can make and receive calls, and even get a whole lot of Marketing Spam SMS-es. And I think Sonny boy can even drop it a couple of times (ahem, that’s an understatement) and it might still just work!
So, I believe Life has come a full circle.
Or mebbe I’m just growing old.