– First things first – I want you to wake up at the first ring of the alarm clock. Sit up straight, and stretch out your right hand. Slam the alarm down, and GO BACK TO BED. There is nothing more refreshing than a good night’s sleep. Sleep as long as you can. Until someone rings your door bell, or your child cries, or your MIL bangs the door. Whatever it is, do not sacrifice on your sleep.
– Your facial ritual – Talking of fruit masks, don’t pay a dime in the parlours. This is what you do: Take equal portions of melon, banana and pear. Chop into decent sized pieces, add a pinch of sugar and salt, and run it in the mixer. Have you got a nice concoction of a lovely pastel shade? Now take a deep breath, and drink it in a single shot. Yummmmy! Feeling better already?
– Choice of clothes – This is extremely important. You have to dress well. Because people are watching! So pick up the shirt that is easiest to iron, press it well. It is crucial that you do not ignore the final crease that the damn iron leaves on your neatly pressed shirt. Re-do that bit for sure, and you’ll feel confident. See, you really start by taking on the iron-box first to start with.
– As the day proceeds, you are bogged down by work and politics and meetings and conferences. The tip to survive all this is: stock up on tiny chocolate bars, fruits, milkshakes and stuff that you enjoy! Everytime you feel stressed, pick a bar, take a walk. If you want to not gain weight, just hand over the bar to someone you think is equally stressed. You lose weight, and you win friends. Two birds with one stone, right?
– When the clock strikes 5 or 6 or whatever time it is that you are supposed to leave office, make sure you shut down your computer immediately and make a RUN! For your bus or car or whatever is the mode of your transport. Run like you are running for your life. You are guaranteed to save atleast 20 minutes that way. You can use the time to read a book, or soak in the tub, or cook, or even better, shop!! Or simply do nothing!! (I remember the good ol’ days when I had a career! My asst. would send me an email at the dot of 5. Impressed, I would go out of my room to discuss the data with her. But she would be nowhere in sight! She was probably already half way down to the station!! How she managed to send that email and immediately shut down her comp and disappear – all within a matter of 60 seconds, is a complete miracle to me, even till this date!!).
– On your way back home, make sure you have either some music or a book. Without either of these, it’s a pure waste of travel time. Utilise the time to relax and unwind.
– Again, when you reach home, RUN to the loo, and freshen up real quick. Now grab a big mug of coffee or juice or whatever you like and energise yourself. Ignore your child asking for a toy, or MIL asking you to chop some veggies. This is YOUR time.
– Now that you are refreshed, do dedicate the next couple of hours to home sweet home. I am sure everybody missed you dearly while you were away at work. Playing with the kiddo might be a great stress-buster. Working with MIL might just charge you up. Store all that energy to lash out at your competitors at the work place or elsewhere. If not, there’s always the unsuspecting hubby who returns home at the end of day 😉
– Ok dinner time. Eat well, but not heavy. Have a balanced diet of carbs (rice/pasta/chapatti/etc) and proteins (lentils/dhal/eggs/etc). Try to not eat sweet stuff, or you will end with more cavities than teeth in your old age!
– Drink. Water, or cider, or whatever you like. Just to keep the fizz in life.
– Try to get the MIL to put the kid to sleep, so you can enjoy a romantic late night movie 😉
– Sleep when you can’t keep your eyes open anymore. And have a good long night’s sleep.